Musical theatre giants from around the world come together to support emerging talent – for one night only! Elton John & Tim Rice, Toby Marlow & Lucy Moss, Masi Arare, Claude-Michel Schönberg & Alain Boublil, Adam Guettel, Stephen Schwartz, Maury Yeston, Douglas Hodge, Stiles & Drewe, Irene Sankoff & David Hein, Don Black & Debbie Wiseman with more to be announced!
A unique night for musical theatre, REGENERATE: Lost Songs from the Musicals is a Livestreamed Online Gala Fundraiser in support of Mercury Musical Developments and Musical Theatre Network, to take place on Sunday 18th September 2022 at 7.00pm.
Titans of musical theatre have been retrieving their favourite songs cut from classic shows and rummaging through their bottom drawers, selecting and repurposing beloved melodies and lyrics to premiere an incredible array of never-before-heard songs, regenerated for one night only!
REGENERATE Livestreamed Gala Fundraiser will be free for everyone to join and watch – with the audience donating as they watch via text, phone or online. Everyone who donates will be entered into a prize draw to win a pair of tickets for SIX in the West End or on Broadway. Proceeds from the fundraiser will go to support new writing talent to present their work at BEAM2023; removing financial barriers for creatives to share their work at the UK’s biggest showcase of new musical theatre.
The songs will be performed by a glittering array of talent (to be announced in September.)
With 15 unheard songs, REGENERATE is devised by producer Neil Marcus who says: “I have been overwhelmed by the generosity and passion of the composers and lyricists who are gifting work to support the next generation of writing talent. We are now reaching out to an incredible group of artists and musicians who will be introducing these songs to the world. We will soon be announcing the line-up and more songs showcasing new writers breaking through.”
Unsung songs and world premieres during the evening include:
- The world premiere of Oscar winner Don Black and Debbie Wiseman OBE’s It’s Still Me In Here from their brand new musical Feather Boy sung by Anita Dobson. Don Black is one of the UK’s most prolific lyricists (from musicals Billy, Aspects of Love to Sunset Boulevard, and songs including Diamonds Are Forever, Born Free and Michael Jackson’s Ben) and is working with composer Debbie Wiseman whose extraordinarily beautiful music has been the soundtrack for many films including: Wilde, Tom’s Midnight Garden and television series including Joanna Lumley’s Nile and Wolf Hall. Wiseman was the official composer and musical director of the Platinum Jubilee Celebration at Windsor in May.
- Toby Marlow & Lucy Moss still buzzing from their Tony Award success for their hit musical SIX, currently playing to packed houses in both the West End and on Broadway, will be gifting a never before heard song!
- Stephen Schwartz (Wicked / Pippin / Godspell) is gifting Leaving Myself Behind from a new project called Marley. He will accompany Broadway actor Michael McCorry Rose, on the piano.
- The Olivier Award-winning actor Douglas Hodge, whose new musical 101 Dalmations is currently playing at the Open Air Theatre Regent’s Park, will introduce Counting The Hairs from his musical Wigmaker.
- Rising star Desmonda Cathabel (Winner: Stephen Sondheim Society Student Performer Of The Year 2022) will be singing a song by Claude Michel-Schönberg & Alain Boublil cut from Miss Saigon during the development process.
- Another brand new musical song from Maury Yeston (Nine / Titanic) who will be providing a song from his current new writing project The Great Bridge, about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Mrs Me by George Stiles & Anthony Drewe will receive its world premiere sung by Michael Ahomka-Lindsay. Their newest musical Identical is currently on tour (directed by Trevor Nunn) and Mary Poppins is playing in the West End. Their delightful Honk! won Best Musical at the Olivier’s in 2000 – beating both The Lion King and Mamma Mia!
- Emerging composing talent Omar Baroud who is currently being mentored by Stiles & Drewe under the MTI Mentorship Award scheme administered by MMD, will be singing a song from his new musical After Elijah. Omar is currently playing Cliff in the West End production of Cabaret.
- There will also be new work from Masi Asare (Paradise Square, recently playing on Broadway), Canadian husband and wife team Irene Sankoff and David Hein (Come From Away) and composer / lyricist Adam Guettel (The Light in The Piazza / Floyd Collins).
- Last, but not least, Tim Rice and Sir Elton John will deliver a song to be premiered on the night.
More songs and who will be singing them all, to be announced soon!
If you wish to pledge or support in advance, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
REGENERATE WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD OR VIEW POST THE LIVE EVENT
By sponsoring BEAM2023 your company has the opportunity to reach approximately 300 of the top industry decision makers in UK Theatre. For two days key theatre figures will be gathered together for this unprecedented, industry-only event. You will also be supporting the artists who are shaping the future of British musical theatre.
BEAM is a biennial two-day event which will be held the The Lowry, Salford in May 2023. In order for the UK to remain a centre of excellent and innovative musical theatre we need to strategically support new writers, encourage industry collaboration and raise awareness of the breadth of work being created. BEAM is designed to do this. The work will be found via 20 innovate pitching days held at key producing venues across the UK.
The two days will consist of networking events and the showcases themselves. Delegate passes will be available to venues, producers, artistic directors, literary managers, directors and those industry interested in supporting new musical theatre.
‘BEAM was a bit like Cannes – for musicals. And the results were astonishing; brilliantly diverse material that proves musical theatre is alive and well in the UK… it was a celebration of the range and power of British writing talent.’ Kate Golledge, director
BEAM is a collaboration between the charity Mercury Musical Developments (MMD) and Musical Theatre Network (MTN) and is a key part of both organisations’ mission to support the development of new Musical Theatre across the UK.
MTN’s membership is made up of leading venues and producers across the UK such as ATG, Curve Theatre, and The Other Palace, London. MMD’s members and patrons include the likes of Tim Rice, Don Black , Judi Dench and Maria Friedman. Our writer members encompass both those new to the genre as well as experienced practitioners such as Stiles & Drewe and Howard Goodall.
Our combined membership embraces all aspects, and in many cases are key players, in the musical theatre industry across the UK. By supporting BEAM2023 you will get un-paralleled access to our contacts and networks. To find out more and to see the full-line up of writers and producers presenting at BEAM2023 follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
Tickets and full schedule will be available in Spring 2023.
We’re aiming to make a very real difference to the musical theatre landscape in the UK. But we need you to help make this happen. So please back BEAM! To talk about different ways to support and sponsorship packages please contact: Natalia Scorer, Executive Director MMD at email@example.com or simply click the Donate button below and make a donation via PayPal or with a credit/debit card. Thank you for your support which is hugely appreciated!
‘BEAM was a game changer for me. Where else could I have seen 42 pitches in two days? That was me done for the next two years of producing.’ Jim Zalles, producer